FTR has moved to fairytailrevolution.jcink.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic

3 posters

Go down

Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic Empty Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic

Post by Crisis Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:43 am

Spell name: Gate of Acceleration
Element: Time-Space
MP cost: 25
Effect: Requires Crisis Eagle. The user summons a single Gate, which resembles a stained glass window with three, red chevrons, an ovoid about six feet high and three feet wide.  It may be placed anywhere within melee range, and may face any direction.  The Gate shatters on contact and increases the Speed or Agility of whatever went through it by the Power of this spell in one direction for one action (this can be an action that carries through the gate or is executed immediately afterward).  If the action causes damage (like an attack or a spell) that is not part of an additional effect (like poison), the damage is increased as well.  Changes in direction may result in loss of overall velocity.

Power: ****
Speed: 0
Area: 0
Extra: ** (Buff - Speed/Agility, Buff - Damage)

Spell name: Gate of Magnification
MP cost: 15
Effect: Requires Nightfall. The user summons a single Gate, which resembles a stained glass window with three, blue, concentric arches, an ovoid about six feet high and three feet wide.  It may be placed anywhere within melee range, and may face any direction.  The Gate shatters on contact and increases the Power and size of whatever touched it by this spell’s Power stat for one action (this can be an action that carries through the gate or is executed immediately afterward).  The increase in size is in direct relation to the increase in Power.  For instance, if the Power has been doubled (i.e. this spell adds **** to an attack with a Power stat of **** already, resulting in ********), so has the size.

Power: ****
Extra: * (Buff - Power)

Spell name: Gate of Denial
MP cost: 10
Effect: Requires Nightfall. The user summons a single Gate, which resembles a stained glass window with a big, red “X” on it, an ovoid about six feet high and three feet wide.  It may be placed anywhere within the user’s line of sight or within melee range, and may face any direction.  Unlike other Gates, this one is a defensive shield and lasts for one post or until it is destroyed, whichever comes first.  When laid flat, it can also be stood on.

Power: *****
Extra: * (Defense)

Spell name: Gate of Redirection
Effect: Requires Crisis Eagle. The user summons a single Gate, which resembles stained glass windows with a blue arrow on it, an ovoid about six feet high and three feet wide.  It may be placed anywhere within the user’s line of sight or within melee range, and may face any direction.  Touching the Gate causes it to instantly shatter and throw whatever touched it in the direction the arrow is pointing.  Anything that was not moving is thrown two meters in the indicated direction.

Power: *
Speed: *
Extra: ** (Ranged, Impact, Non-Lethal)

Spell name: Gate of Multiplication
Effect: Requires Nightfall. The user summons a single Gate, which resembles stained glass windows with a blue “X” on it, about one foot in diameter.  It may be placed anywhere within melee range of the user, and may face any direction.  Any attack that passes through this gate becomes a Cone attack with this spell’s Power invested in Extra: Cone.  May create copies of physical objects that pass through it, which only lasts until the attack finishes.  This Gate is too small to send people through.

Power: ***
Extra: * (Buff - Extra: Cone)

Last edited by Tatsuma on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 am; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : Equipment requirements recolored.)
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Experience : 104
Primary Magic : Requip: Defenstrator
Secondary Magic : N/A

Back to top Go down

Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic Empty Re: Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic

Post by Maxus Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:22 pm

So, we have several issues. But I'm going to start with the main two really dragging these spells down.

Multiple Gates: It's not an extra on the extra list. So what does this extra even do? Post your explanation as a reply here so staff has something to glance at when we're discussing it.

+ Ranks: We don't give bonuses to spells based on the rank of the caster. So you need to take all that out.
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Experience : 122

Back to top Go down

Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic Empty Re: Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic

Post by Crisis Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:13 am

Oh, sorry for the confusion.  "Multiple Gates" is just "Multiple Projectiles."  I changed the name because I thought it was clever and felt it felt the theme of the magic more.  I have corrected this, if facetiously.

And the + Ranks aren't bonuses.  My character is Rank 3, and those + Rank notes are there to remind me which parts of the spell are influenced by Rank.  I had written these before submitting my Character Application so I wasn't sure if I could actually get Rank 3.  I have now removed them.

Added Requip requirements.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 am

Alright, so now that the confusing bits are out of the way...

Your spells involve teleporting. I know there's not rules up for that just yet, but we've tentatively made it a rank 5 ability. You can accelerate objects or persons touching your gates, but you may not instantly move them to another location yet.

As for your multiplication gate spell. The number of times a person can be "split" would rely on having a higher number of points invested in multiple projectile. You gain 1 projectile per point in it, so assuming you put 2 into Multiple projectile, you'd only get two objects.

Lingering works in a similar way. You get 1 post or round of your spell per point of lingering you have.

Also, I'm rather iffy about being able to divide other characters like that. It balances well, I feel, by dividing their power, but it might be a bit much. Maybe state it only works on Crisis?

Now, if you have 2 in lingering, but only want the copies to last 1 post, that's fine. But the gates staying up 5 posts won't work unless you have 5 in lingering.

And thanks for clearing up the gate extra. Now that you've stated what it is, I find that I'm kicking myself for being so blind. (Not a bad thing mind you)
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Experience : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:36 am

Is that Rank 5 for just objects and people, or attacks, too?  'Cause I just changed Gate of Transposition so it teleports energy and fluids but nothing solid (teleporting objects and people will be put back in once I get Rank 5).  This includes kinetic energy from physical attacks, so I replaced "Lingering" with "Defending."  Lingering wasn't really necessary for any of these spells, anyway, though I may put it or Sustained back in as an upgrade later.  Meanwhile, Defending is currently conditional and only affects physical attacks using solid objects or body parts.  I hope that's alright.

Having a Gate that only works on Crisis kinda feels like missing the point of having the spells be Gates in the first place.  In that regard, I have made similar changes to Gate of Multiplication, except I have not replaced Lingering with anything after removing it.  Also reduced the number of Gates to 4.

So am I supposed to be putting points into each individual Extra ability separately?  I wasn't completely certain of that when I read the rules and I've been waiting for someone to specify.

Also, I just realized I had "HP Costs" instead of "WP Costs."  I have now fixed this.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:06 am

Am I to understand now that Requip spells don't count against my spell limit? So I can add two more spells to this list?
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:02 am

okay since Maxus is away for a little bit I will attempt to fill in for him for just a moment to help out. Your teleportation ability right now, probably better off just doing it as high speed movement until you get to high level.

step two, I feel the need to inform that you don't HAVE to have your WP affected by your spell use, but if you want to do that as a cosmetic thing feel free at your behest.

and the ability to requip your items doesn't count against your limit of spells but you do need to determine to which requip items each your your spells go to since it's all ties to individual pieces of equipment (E.G. Erza was not fire resistant in EVERY armor she had, just certain sets so she had to use different things). I do like how your spells are set up but you might consider using high speed transportation instead of teleportation and then move to teleportation at higher levels. Essentially that's up to you but i'm happy to work with you on it. Go ahead and make the small changes i mentioned and bump for me whenever you're done :)
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Experience : 436
Primary Magic : Lightning Dragon Slayer
Secondary Magic : Void Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:36 am

Okay... I've replaced all the spells except Gate of Acceleration, which is now Rank 3. There are also new spells. They all still cause me damage because that is the nature of Crisis' curse. I know I don't have to do it that way, but I still want it to have a tangible effect.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:06 am

okay, as I believe maxus said, you don't get any bonuses from character rank for your spells. In addition, you only your two items, and then one rank 1 spell, one rank 2 spell, and one rank three spell so you have too many spells. I feel i should go over the effects of the stats.

Speed will not increase damage, that is due to the power stat. Speed determines how fast your spell travels to its destination so if Marcos fires a spell with a speed stat of **** and Jenny fires a spell with a speed stat of **, Marcos' spell will hit before Jenny's spell does. Your buff can increase a stat if you wish but you'll need to specify. If you want to increase the physical speed of a character it would be the agility stat that you want to increase. Though if you're just wanting to increase a spell's damage or effect you can do that :) If you're just talking about it physically jaunting them in a specific direction at a specific rate of speed you don't have to use the buff effect since you're just using power to force movement.

Also unless you are using the "sustained" effect, your spell only lasts one post and then fizzles so you'll have to take that or "lingering" if you want it to last longer.

You don't have to state the cooldowns if you don't want to because they are standard.

Once you've fixed those bump and I'll go back over to see if everything is all sorted and I look forward to seeing and rping with you :)

Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:30 am

Crap, did I leave those in again? I should probably remove those from my off-site copy...

Okay, I get that Speed and Damage aren't related in this system, but you are saying I have I can't use the same spell to make both a spell and a person go faster? Or can I just say it makes whatever goes through it travel twice as fast in the direction it was going and it won't matter? If I say that, can it also increase damage? Also, if I'm only increasing damage, does it matter what the Power stat of the buff is?

"Sustained" and "Lingering" effects I was planning on purchasing later.

Changes Made:
-"+ Ranks" removed
-Gate of Acceleration "makes whatever went through it move twice as fast in one direction" and increases the damage of attacks.
-Removed cool downs of all spells
-Reduced Gate of Redirection's Power to 0, replaced Buff with Multiple Projectiles. Three gates may now be in play at once, and non-moving objects are thrown two meters.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:57 pm

No, you are allowed to make both a spell and a person go faster, the buff would be for agility for people or speed for the spells since it's virtually the same effect I'll leave a little wiggle room for you, however, it would not increase the damage, just make it harder to dodge. If you could increase two aspects of a spell it would get a little ridiculous. For example the collection of buffs I have for Tatsuma allows me to increase his agility to a total of 17, if this also increased the power of his spells I could then do upwards of 170 damage+ the damage of the spells already. This would be pretty ridiculous in the scheme of things.

Also yes it does matter what the power stat of the buff is because power on buffs is the stat that affects how much in increases stuff by. Spells do damage equal to 10x the number of * they have in the spell. Buffs increase whatever they are buffing by the number of * in the power stat.

Moving to the gate of acceleration change. You can make it move twice as fast, but adding damage to it is a different thing. So you have 3 *'s in the power stat so it would increase the movement speed by ***. That's about double average (assuming they were already at average). But you'll have to choose between damage and power (the laws of physics and momentum aren't necessarily interrelated here since we're talking mostly anime physics)

Now for gate of redirection, as I mentioned before power determines the effectiveness of a spell while speed determines how fast that spell moves. A spell with a lot of speed travels very quickly to the target or materializes very quickly (really only important for ranged spells) meanwhile, the power stat would determine how much damage they took or how far they were thrown, thus with a power of zero it's like saying "my water balloon forces you back 30 feet". It just doesn't quite work that way. You may want to read the top section of the attributes and magic creation threads (which I will include at the end of this).

Finally, I don't understand what this "transmission" Thing is and why it suddenly has a huge mana cost. You only need one number there (two if you want to include the sustain or overcharge cost and the like) but you don't need a bunch of random unlabeled numbers (remember when you use these spells your going to end up posting them so other people can see what you're doing to them or trying to do to them).

Make changes and bump when you're done and I'll take another look over it and go from there.

also the aforementioned links I promised:

Character Attributes

Magic creation rules

Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:54 pm

I think I need a bit of clarification on how Ranged attacks work. Basically, in order to make an attack ranged at all costs two points: one in Speed and one in Extra to buy the Ranged attribute, correct?

Oh, in Crisis' profile under "Magic," it says she can use mirrors and live broadcasts (like Lacrima-Vision) to extend the range of her spells. For instance, she could use a mirror to open a Gate around an otherwise blind corner or open a gate on the other side of the world if she sees the target location during a live broadcast. Since mirrors double the range, using them doubles the cost, and since live video can be broadcast anywhere, the cost increases ten fold.

Changes Made:
-All Spells except Gate of Redirection are no longer ranged and have their Speed reduced to zero in order to increase their Power. Cost modifications left intact for future reference.
- Gate of Acceleration now has two points invested in Extra to support two different Buffs, one for Speed/Agility, the other for Damage. I didn't see anything in the rules prohibiting that, but if you think this isn't right I'll go ahead and change it.
-Gate of Redirection now has the Impact attribute.
-Gate of Concealment replaced with a new Gate of Multiplication spell. I can Buff the Extra attribute, right?
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm

Okay while it may say under magic she can do that, it was approved under the idea that you could create a spell that would allow you to do that effect, which I would be happy to approve as a separate deal when you get the chance to make it. As it stands, you'll probably just want to get rid of that since we don't have random secondary magic effects that simply remain standard on here. In addition to that, the mana costs of those effects will make it so you can't even use more than one at a time, trust me the 200 mana that you start with will fly by. If you're wanting something to double the range we have an effect that does that very thing. Also you can remove the curse cost for when you're out of MP because when you're out of MP your spells shut down.

For your gates that have the non lethal extra, are you intending for the damage increase that it provides to be non-lethal or are you planning on it being lethal.. is kind of confusing XD.

Also note, the spells you have that don't have the ranged buff will have a range of touch so whatever you're buffing you're going to have to touch (or if you're creating a gate or something it will be active as long as you're touching it)

Gate of redirection can throw back people, but only if their spells aren't being used in conjunction with physical attack. If they fire off a spell with a power of ** or more, the spell won't have any effect.

Other than those aforementioned things I think we have everything worked out. Thank you for your patience and working with me and I look forward to you're character being a full magic user :)

Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:09 pm

Fair enough. I've removed the extended range costs from all the spells except Gate of Redirection, which is already ranged. The transmission effect is pretty much for emergencies anyway, and the mirror thing is to reflect ingenuity (no pun intended). The curse costs I'm leaving in because I wanted the curse to be a double-edged sword allowing her to push herself farther. If that's still unacceptable, I can remove it.

"Non-lethal" is there just because the Gates themselves do no damage and I kind of meant it as a joke. Since its confusing, I went ahead and removed them.

So I have to literally touch them if they're not Ranged? Does it have to be with my body (hands, feet, etc.) or will my weapons suffice? Would I have to invest in Speed, too? I find this really confusing.

The Gate of Redirection isn't meant as a defensive effect anyway, so that's fine. It's more meant for changing the trajectory of my own/allies' attacks and bouncing people around like pinballs, so I would imagine anything resisting that effect wouldn't be knocked around so much.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:27 pm

The curse cost is fine, but the one for when you run out of mana isn't. I mean if you want to just constantly take damage when you run out of mana you can keep that in, but you won't be able to use your wound points as a substitute for the mana. The normal curse cost is fine if you want to have it in there, but the one for when you run out of mana your spell ends, though it is up to you as to whether you want to take the damage continuously after you're out anyway.

If they aren't ranged then yes you'll have to be in contact with the gate or the person or whatever since you're not launching off a projectile. I'm taking them to be just like created weapons, which means once they leave your hands they disappear after one post.
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Eh... I just removed the curse costs entirely, since I'm putting myself at a disadvantage for no good reason. I'll just RP the effects of the curse. (Although, if I could sacrifice WP to regain MP... Nah, forget it. I'm over-thinking things.)

As for the whole Ranged deal, my plan for now was to pretty much destroy the Gates about as soon as they are created. I expected them to last, at the longest, until the beginning of the post after I created them. All the Gates are single-use, so if multiple people wanted to use them they'd either have to hit the same Gate at the same time or wait for me to summon another one. Even if I wanted to give them Lingering or Sustained, the Gate would be used up the instant something hit it and their effects would still only last one turn.

My current plan is to make them Ranged when I level up, then make them stronger, then maybe make them stick around longer. For now, though, I've taken Ranged out of all of them except the Gate of Redirection and reinvested the point back into Power.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Okay the last thing is you need to decide what weapons each spell is attached to. As a requip mage you're spells are tied to your weapons. Specific spells to specific weapons.
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Crisis Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Those were there the whole time. You probably didn't notice because they were bold and at the beginning of the Effect descriptions. I've gone ahead and changed the color.
Crisis
Crisis
Guildless C
Guildless C

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:38 am

Approved :) Crisis' Defenestrator's Chthonic Gate Magic 3308478446  also edited to remove the last transmission entry I'm assuming you forgot
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down