FTR has moved to fairytailrevolution.jcink.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Letter - [Nines]

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Letter - [Nines] Empty The Letter - [Nines]

Post by Nines Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:21 pm

It was strange, he was almost one hundred percent certain that he should not be returning this early. However he wasn’t one to question the higher up’s at HQ, at least not normally. Now he was starting to have his doubts. What if the reason he couldn’t find the Dark Guilds, was because they weren’t hiding.

It was the perfect hiding spot, however it made no sense. The council had always tried to protect people, what did Dark Guilds try to do? He actually couldn’t say, for all he knew they were more helpful to the public than the council was now. The council he once was a part of was a lot more organized than this at times. Nines had both his hands in his pockets as he walked through the front gate of the Magic Council.

The letter crumpled in his left hand was still running through his mind. He expected this place to be on fire or something, not the standard levels of calm and orderly. He started walking through area after area. Hoping that someone will notice him and explain to him why he was sent back after only being gone about two days.

The letter he received told him to come back as soon as possible. The quicker the better. So he asked a mate at the Fairy Tail guild house for a ride. Next thing Nines knew there was a bar fight, and the guy threw Nines through a portal, causing him to land outside of Era.

The Magic Council was built in three buildings. Each large enough to hold a small army of people, but most didn't. It was important to note the entire facility was more than five floors high, and all was constructed, at least on the outside, in brick. The first building was the one the main gate was connected too, and consisted of the primary barracks and the guard house. It was the smallest building but it by itself was quite large. Inside the large square shape of the Barracks was the grounds, not actually part of the buildings but still an important part of the facility, as it was where the men trained, as well as rested.

The second building was a huge brick building past the 2nd wall of the barracks. This is where the majority of the meetings took place. Nines opened the front door of the building and walked inside. The men called it the Praetorium, Nines called it the Chapel, cause thats what its design on the outside and the inside reminded him off. The building’s outside was designed triangularly, and was covered in gothic designs and Flying Buttresses making the entire thing very wonderful to look at. Whoever built this place was skilled, that was for sure.

The inside was no less beautiful, the floors were tiled and painted with wonderful paintings, and inlaid with actual gold. The floor itself was white, allowing Nines to almost “blend” into his surroundings when he was inside of the Praetorium. There were large carved gothic columns that rose from the floor to the ceiling, quite a lot of them along this area. The outside edge of the building had two staircases on opposite sides that rose upwards, a door on the sides to each floor until they met in the middle with a large pair of double doors. That was the only part of the Complex he never went. The Magic Council Tower. He had no idea what was done there, nor why it was even there. Only that it was.

Across from him was another pair of double doors, on the ground floor. They were made of solid metal, and engraved in runes of not only protection but also Anti-Magic. Those were the doors to the dungeon areas, the “basement” of the complex, which were used as a prison for those that broke the councils laws, and societies rules.

Nines looked around again, hoping that someone would notice him here in the Praetorium and tell him what was going on, as its primary use was for administration, and meetings between high ranking members and citizens. One would normally accept their jobs here if they worked for the council, by taking a request from the citizen who needed help.

Nines sighed, it seemed empty not exactly strange persay, but definitely unsettling. He really needed something to calm his nerves a bit. His entire being was screaming ambush, but he told himself to calm down.

He had a bad feeling about all this.
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Experience : 200
Primary Magic : Re-equip: The Sentinel
Secondary Magic : N/A

https://www.bungie.net/en/Clan/Detail/379080

Back to top Go down

The Letter - [Nines] Empty Re: The Letter - [Nines]

Post by Maxus Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 pm

As Nines had noted, there was hardly anyone around. The desk receptionist seemed to be actively avoiding looking at him as she fiddled with her paper work. One or two other paladins strolled briskly passed, clearly having someplace to be. But as their footsteps echoed into obscurity a new set could be heard.

There were two sets, though one was slightly off set and accompanied by the loud sound of wood connecting with tile. It was a steady pace, and clearly not in a hurry. The receptionist quickly left, clearly not wanting to be around when the people causing those steps showed up.

From his left, two figures became visible. One was easily recognizable among the older members of the council. He was tall, and carried himself as someone who'd won more than their share of battles. An eye patch covered his right eye and signs of a scar could be seen out of the top and bottom of said patch. Armor that had clearly been repaired more than a few times covered him, and a spear sat comfortably on his back. His shoulder armor pieces both bore the council Emblem. His mood was anything but comfortable however, and it seemed as though he were scowling right at Nines. It was none other than Captain Mathius.

The man who accompanied him was much shorter, and clearly up in age. He was bald, and had a graying mustache. He wore a purple jacket over a white shirt, and pants that matched the jacket. Black shoes reflected the light as well as the floor did. Everything seemed to scream immaculate about him.

“You must be Nikolas Crossley,” Mathius stated as they came to stop a few feet from Nines. The old man seemed like he was out for an afternoon stroll, which was a strong contrast to the seemingly barely controlled anger coming from Mathius. “I'm Captain Mathius, and this is Dr. Gerold. From the R&D Department.”

“I prefer Dr. Gero,” He said with a nod as he placed the cane in front of him. Resting both hands  on it he smiled warmly at Nines. “It's nice to meet such experienced seekers. It always does me good to see that my research protects warriors such as yourself.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Experience : 122

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 am

Nines raised an eyebrow. Well this was interesting indeed. The Seeker breathed out a sigh, as he put his hands to his side, tapped his feet together and Saluted the captain, and his associate. “I am indeed Nickolas Krossley, sir.” Nines said as he lowered his right hand. “I uh, we have an R&D department?” He asked out loud, “More importantly sir, am I in trouble?” Nines paused. “Again?”

Boy he certainly hoped he wasn’t in trouble. That would be terrifying, last time he did something bad was when he showed up after nine years of being MIA. They made him go through the basic restructure of the Magic Council trainee until they could get the paperwork nightmare from hell organized. He could only imagine what that kind of face Mathius was giving could mean, for all Nines knew that was the guys normal face. Best to ask if he was in trouble and get that out of the way.

“The letter I received was rather vague, I arrived as soon as I received it.” Nines meant that literally. After getting the letter which was an odd way to send a message when Lacrima existed now that could send messages, he went to the Fairy Tail guild house and got a ride. “I mean that literally, I got a ride from a friend, it seemed important”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:35 am

“At ease,” Mathius waved his hand dismissively. He hadn't bothered saluting back, the rumors of him not standing on formalities seeming to be true. The Doctor next to him chuckled slightly at Nine's explanation of the situation. Mathius' gaze hardened as he bored his gaze right into Nines. “What. Letter.”

"...Er... Yes... Dr Gero interrupted, deflating slightly at the questioning of the existence of the R&D department. After heaving a sigh he straitened back up. He gave Nine's a knowing look before turning to walk. “It's awfully strange you received a letter to return when we have communication Lacrima.  Com Lacrima that my department developed mind you.”

“You're not in trouble, this time,” Mathius said before motioning to the seeker to follow. Then he fell into step next to Gero as the two made their way to the exit, leading to the central grounds between the three buildings. “You're one of the few not actually causing trouble for a change. Which is why we're coming to you for help. Or rather... Gero is."

“Dr. Gero,” He corrected as they stepped out into the greener scenery. He moved at a slow pace, seeming to have all the time in the world. “And yes, the R&D does need your help with a rather... sensitive project. I can't really say more than that right now.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 am

So the letter wasn’t from them. Why were they here? How did they even know he was here if it wasn’t from them. He lived in Magnolia. This was only throwing up more red flags. At least he wasn’t in trouble as he fell into step behind them, listening to their explanation. The one not causing trouble? That was straight up confusing.

Didn't the majority of seekers do their jobs better then he did? He could understand being one of the few who did their actual job of hunting down dark guild members, specially after the council revoked the Guildless law. But to be called out on being one of the better seekers was straight up confusing. Nines accepted the compliment however “Thank you sir.”

Then came the new’s that Gero was coming to him for help. Nines raised his eyebrow again. A sensitive project? Seemed interesting, he didn't know how he could help, but he had some ideas for things that could probably help the community in the long run. Knowing there was a R&D Division made things exciting for once.

“I am extremely interested in this project, what exactly is it that you need me to do Doctor Gero?” Nines asked putting his hands in his pockets.
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:10 am

“I'll explain after we pick up one more person,” Dr Gero stated as they walked. Off in the distance the sounds of combat drills could be heard. And if Nines looked ahead, off in the distance there was a batch of recruits being run through the drills. “It would be silly of me to entrust one of the biggest secrets to just one seeker. This isn't something you can help with alone.”

“I still don't agree with this,” Mathius said in an irritated voice. His arms were folded across his chest, and his one eye was closed. He was even more annoyed if it was possible. “I can't fathom why Argon himself would agree to these two. A misfit with a record for causing trouble and a recruit who's barely seen any action.”

“It isn't your place to question his decisions,” Dr Gero countered in the same calm voice he had been speaking in the entire time. “You're entitled to your opinions Captain. However, I would appreciate if they didn't jeopardize my work. I'd rather not have these two eyeing me with suspicion the entire time they're working with me.”

“Fine,” He said as they stopped to watch the drill from a safe distance. They were easily out of earshot, and off to the side so they weren't all that noticable either. At least not at first glance. There were around twenty in total, all looking to be late teens to mid twenties in age. One seemed rather young compared to the others, but neither of Nine's companions made mention of it. “Take a look and tell me whom you'd take from this crowd if you had to go on a secret mission.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:36 am

Toril looked around the room. There were a lot of recruits in here. Some of them she knew. Unlike most of them though, she was quiet, her face slightly anxiously curious. Whatever was going on, she’d been asked to take part in it – if she was selected by the council superior who was already selected in the job. It didn’t make a whole lot of sense…. Why was she even needed if more experienced people were required? The girl idly played with the rings on her hands as she waited.

Then, two men entered the room, followed by a third, younger man. He looked almost as confused as she did. But he had the look of a seasoned officer, and was too old to be one of the recruits. Tempest’s brown eyes scrutinized the three men. The differences in looks between the three of them told her whatever was going on was both important, and maybe a little controversial. She was smart enough to figure that out, at any rate.

One of the men finally spoke, telling the youngest man to look at all of the recruits and pick the one he wanted. Everyone had shut up and stood up straight when the men entered the room. Except for Tempest, who had been too busy trying to figure things out to remember to stand at attention. Her eyes widened, and she stood up straight noticeably later than the others, but the look on her face said she had a bit more of a clue about something strange going on than the others.
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Experience : 54
Primary Magic : Holder: Ring Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:54 am

He was asked a simple question. To pick who he wanted to take on a special secret mission. He looked amongst the recruits, and practically laughed. this was an easy question, so it deserved a complex answer. “The one in the front, female, blonde hair, brown eyes, with the rings.” Nines replied confidently. “She looks the youngest and least experienced sir. So I would like to take her with me” He gestured towards Toril with his hand as he explained.

“If you want a more in depth explanation, she’s small means there's less of her to see when doing stealth maneuvers. On top of that she’s young, means she can handle failure better, the way she wears those rings, from those glints I assume are Lacrima, which means shes a holder mage. Thus shes one of the most versatile out of this group, so shes also good for combat even though she's inexperienced. While there are other hold mages in the group, she's the only one which uses Accessories, which means she plans around her versatility. This displays a hint of intelligence, which means I don't have to give her very specific directions, she can solve problems by herself. On top of that she stood at attention last, because she was more curious about us than she was about following orders, I need someone who is able to question reality of situations like that. A person with a soul is better than the rest of these recruits, who are soldiers at heart, and probably haven't even noticed we are here. They would make fantastic soldiers by the way.”
Nines went out of his way to explain everything he could figure out just by looking at her.

“Another thing, shes young, this means if she hangs out with someone whos been both a paladin and seeker then she’ll learn faster, do jobs more, and get stronger faster. This will make her a force to be reckoned with when she grows up to be a grown woman” He finished placing his hand back in his pocket.

“So yeah, Her.”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:17 am

By the conclusion of Nine's speech, both men were staring at him with sheer disbelief. Eyes were wide, jaws were hanging open slightly, and a tumble weed could easily be imagined blowing by behind them. Mathius was the first to recover, if you could call it recovering. He broke out into hearty laughter, earning a glare from the Gero. “I demand to know what's so funny!”

“It's just that...” Mathius had to work at recovering. He didn't seem fazed by the glare at all. Quite the opposite in fact, if his grin was anything to go by. He straightened back up, his laughter having gotten everyone's attention. Feeling the prying eyes of the recruits he looked more professional like before, but certainly less angry. “I think I'll have to drink with Crossley here at some point.”

“We came here for a reason!” It was Gero's turn to be angry this time. But he cleared his throat. After composing himself he motioned to the recruits. “I don't have any authority here. So I'll be inside once you've briefed them both of the situation. Make sure they get the papers. I'm not a fan of paperwork, but it needs to be done.”

“Yes yes... Go on. I'll send them both to you shortly,” Mathius stated waving the old man off. After Gero turned to leave, Mathius walked up and whispered something with the instructor. Once the instructor nodded Mathius stood in front of the group and cleared his throat. “You are dismissed for a two hour break. All of you, except Toril Tempest!”

“Come with me, Tempest,” Mathius ordered as he turned and started walking. There was murmurs in the crowd, but the instructor was shushing them and getting the moving. This was quickly leaving Matius, Nines, and Tempest alone. Once the three were together, Mathius turned to Tempest. “I'm Captain Mathius, and this is Nikolas Crossley. I have a job for the two of you.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 am

The two older men weren’t the only people staring at Nines in disbelief. Tempest couldn’t believe how quickly and easily he’d guessed so much about her. She wasn’t the best at secrets, sure, but she wasn’t an open book either. So was this guy some kind of genius? If so, why did he need a green recruit like her? She was excited for the opportunity, of course, but she still didn’t quite follow his logic. Her inexperience could be more dangerous than useful if this were something really important.

One of the men started laughing, and the more bookish of the two demanded to know what was so funny. The other officer answered that he’d have to take a drink with Nines. Yeah, that settled it. Whatever was going on, these guys were crazy. After a short exchange, the men dismissed everyone but Tempest, who stayed there, standing at attention while the others moved to do whatever they were able to in the next two hours. Some of them were murmuring, and she knew at least a few of those couldn’t believe she’d been chosen over them, being the youngest in the room and everything.

Tempest had been the wild card. The one who wasn’t even with this group. She’d been summoned up here just to see what this Nikolas Crossley would do if presented with an oddball choice, and he’d taken it.

Obediently, the girl moved with the others until they found a private spot. She was  trying to be a good junior council member, but the curiosity on her face couldn’t stay hidden. She decided to just ask. “Captan Mathius, if I may in order to satisfy my curiosity,” Tempest waited until she was given permission to speak. Recruits had a more strict set of rules than full members, likely for training purposes. She looked to this ‘Nikolas,’ “If I may, how did you figure out so much about me at a glance, sir?” she asked him, still doing her best to keep her posture disciplined. Once he had answered, she decided to save the rest for later. It was likely they were in a bit of a hurry if she got so little notice.
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 am

“It wasn't really that hard to figure that much out. I dont know if either of you realize the majority of that was conjecture, merely stating the obvious about your age and level of experience. The type of magic was easy as well, when one is a holder mage one never forgets the glint a Lacrima can give, it reveals your position to the enemy if you're not careful. Which reminds me, you might want to not polish those rings as much as you do. The reflection of the metal could be noticed. The human eye can process the light of a candle from one hundred yards at night.” Nines replied to her with a small grin. “However as for your intelligence, its because you use holder rings, rather than a sword or a shield, or armor. A holder who values their physical prowess uses a weapon, a holder who values their toughness uses Armor, or shields. A holder who values their intelligence to either manipulate or get out of a situation, uses accessories.” Nines explained pulling out his gauntleted arm and waving it about as he did. “This is something personal experience has taught me, I myself was a Armor based holder, however I was told by my former mentor that I should’ve been an Accessory based Holder due to my perception skills. Even though I may be titled as a seeker, my job is more people oriented than many think, its good to understand people. Whether you are a paladin, or a seeker.I like to think of myself as a combination of both, something more like a Sentinel...or something..” Nines finished with a nod. “Your a smart kid, basically I got that from your body language and your equipment. Thats the easy version”

“So taking that into account, I want you to think about what kind of person I am.”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:43 pm

“You may speak your mind,” Mathius replied, readjusting the eye patch as he turned to walk. “But we're on a mildly strict timetable, so you'll have to speak freely while you move. We need to go to my office first. Then we'll get you two sent on your merry way to his lab of who knows what is down there.”

The last bit was a grumbling from the captain as he slouched slightly. His moody demeanor that Nine's had seen before was quickly returning. As they were about to enter the building he stopped them. “If anyone asks, you're coming with me for an assignment. Nothing more, nothing less.”

Before giving them a chance to respond he walked in. However the receptionist was waving a hand full of papers seemingly trying to get his attention. He heaved a loud sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose. After a long moment he looked over at the two who had been conversing. “It seems I'll be a little delayed, my office is on the fifth floor, in the corner overlooking the eastern side of Era. When I'm done here I'll be up to deal with you two. Don't go anywhere else. I mean it.”

((You two get free reign to chat from this point. I'll but in when it's time for stuff IC))
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:43 pm

What was this about? Tempest found herself mildly suspicious of whatever was going on. It was important, but Nikolas was allowed to take a raw recruit with him. He left them with a message to tell anyone who asked – that they were coming with Mathius on an assignment. In other words, say nothing at all. As the man disappeared with his assistant, Tempest couldn’t keep quiet anymore. Besides, Nikolas had displayed an appreciation for ignoring the rules in the face of practicality. “Seeker Crossley, sir,” Tempest spun to face him, her skirt flaring out only slightly as she did. She had a distrustful look in her eyes. Not at him, but at the situation. “What situation is top secret, but allows for both an experienced soldier and a green recruit? If it isn’t overstepping my bounds, it doesn’t seem logical to me. Why would I be trusted with something like this? I’m only fifteen, sir.”

Well, nearly sixteen, but now wasn’t the time for age semantics. Now was the time to figure out what she was getting herself into. Nikolas Crossley was a highly perceptive man. If she suspected something, then of course he was as well. That is, if her paranoia wasn’t entirely from the fact that she was too new to understand the way the council thought.
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 pm

“Top secret but lets an Experienced soldier, take a Green recruit on?” Nines thought about that one for a bit. The information he had was extremely vague at best. “I’ll tell you all I know, on one condition, you never call me that again. Seeker makes me sound too official. Either call me Nick, or call me Nines. You can slap whatever title in front of those you want but Seeker.” He said all this with his hands in his pockets, not even looking at her, just staring at the grounds. “What I know is very little, but more than you. I was picked apparently out by a Von Argon, I don't know which one, there are three. Most likely due to the fact that I myself am rambunctious and widely regarded as a lunatic amongst the other Seekers. Appearntly i'm the only one doing my job right as of recently, which scares the ungodly crap out of me.” His left hand moved from his pocket to scratch the back of his neck, the gauntlet reflecting the sunlight which pooled inside of the Praetorium. “It also involves the Research and Development division of the Magic Council, which is something you don’t hear about often Tori. Until today I was pretty certain it didn't exist.” He looked at her with a pleasant smile on his face, “You don’t mind if I call you Tori right?, oh and also, feel free to speak your mind to me whenever you want. Just mind your training when a superior is around.” He chuckled, “Last thing we need is one of use to reprimanded because we spoke out of turn while they were trying to tell us something important huh?”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Tempest was obviously interested in what her seeker partner had to say, listening to what he said before she had a chance to reply, herself. He mentioned the problem with the other seekers that he’d heard of as the light glinted off of his gauntlet, as well as the research and development division, just before asking if she minded being called Tori. “I’ll call you Nines…” Tori answered, folding her arms under the council symbol sewn onto her jacket. “ If you'll never call me Toril. You can call me Tori or Tempest. The other girls usually call me Tempest. I hate the way my full first name sounds,” she nodded.

‘Tori’ had an amused smile on her face where Nines’s smile was pleasant, but she could tell already she liked him. She was here to do good for people, not to be a thoughtless soldier. That much was for sure. She was actually pretty bad at blindly following orders, though she’d done just about everything else in her testing rather well. The lacrima glinted in the sunlight as well when she crossed her arms, sending shades of silver, blue, and yellow on the walls as if they were stained-glass windows. “Don’t worry, Sir Nines,” she told him with a wink. The title was more to mess with him than anything. It was a title, but not the one the superior officer had told her not to call him. “I’m a good trainee, you know. If being quiet and polite had a grade attached to it, I might have passed first or second instead of third in my group. I promise I won't get you in trouble.”
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 pm

“Wait thats not graded? Holy crap no wonder I passed with flying colors.” Nines muttered out loud. “Also I didn't even remember the rest of your first name before you said it again. Give me about five minutes, I’ll forget it again.” Nines looked around, the white coat over him moving with the movement. “Lets go upstairs, we should probably get this mess over with as soon as possible, get out of the commanders hair” He commented putting his left hand back in his pocket and started towards the stairs.

“There are a few things I feel you should know about me. One is I always speak my mind, so i'm a pretty blunt person. To counteract that i'm also hilariously dense, so just come out and say what you're thinking, otherwise nothing is going to help me read your mind. Thats not a magic I have, incase your wondering. No I used to be a holder mage, I believe I mentioned that. Now i'm classified as a “Re-Equip” mage” He said this and completed the explanation with air quotes, after which he put his hands back in his pockets. “I tend to just shorten it to Requipping. Pronouncing the second E is a grammatical pain in my butt.” He continued to talk as he went up the stairs. “My favorite drink is Tea, I take it with two sugar’s, thats cubes mind you. My favorite food is the magical Bacon Lettuce Mayonnaise sandwich, I am a decent cook, I will provide you with Lunches hand made the night before, as well as a room where i'm staying as long as you're hanging out around me. I despise lying, however I do not consider it morally wrong when its for the right reasons. You will train your mind as hard if not harder than you train your body, and you will live up to my one rule in life.” He turned and grinned stopping at the fifth floor door, to the administrative offices.

“You will work smarter, not harder”He finished. “Sadly I wasn’t prepared to get an apprentice today, so I don't have a book on hand, but after this i’ll probably make you read on the way back to magnolia, unless you want to stay here in Era, either way it's fantastic to have met you, and I look forward to training you Miss Tori Tempest.” it was true, he had already forgotten again.
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 am

It was just an L. Annoying sounding or not, it wasn’t hard to attach one more letter to a name, at least in Toril’s opinion. So yeah… he might be just a little dense. Oh well. That was one opinion she didn’t voice though. She didn’t really want to risk him remembering her full name by pointing such a thing out. She followed the Seeker upstairs as he started talking again. He said he always spoke his mind. Of course, she’d noticed that already. He wasn’t one for formalities, and she wasn’t one for thinking rules were more important than execution. He didn’t have mind reading magic, which ruled out how he knew so much about her. Not that there weren’t files on her, not to mention he’d already explained how he knew everything, and she figured he was probably truthful.

“I don’t seem to have the ability to conjure my own magic,” Toril piped up as Nines explained his re-quip magic. “And I usually take hot tea or coffee in the mornings, depending on my mood. Three sugars in both. My favorite food is knowledge,” she giggled at that one, unable to keep a straight face, “Okay okay, my favorite food is anything. I don’t have a favorite. I eat a lot. I have a high metabolism so I’m not fat, and I get hungry more. And yes I’m aware I’m not fat and girls that think they’re fat but aren’t are stupid,” she told him, speaking her mind. “I won’t lie though, not for you or anyone. Even if I did I’m terrible at it and it wouldn’t do anyone any good. I can hide my emotions or my thoughts, but I can’t outright contradict them.”

“As for a little reading… I wouldn’t have exited basic third if I were afraid of a little reading. I didn’t know you were going to be my mentor after this mission, so that answers that, and I’ll go where I’m needed, as any Paladin should, even junior ones. And I look forward to you never remembering my full first name.” Tempest had a way of sounding like she knew exactly what she was talking about without sounding snobby about it. As she’d replied it had been with a wit superior to most fifteen year olds, and she was easily keeping up with Nines so far. The real question was: if she was going to be his apprentice, how would she hold up when she was actually thrown into the fire?
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:23 pm

((Well since neither actually went to the office... bwhaahahhahaha!))

It was several long minutes of paperwork and arguing about paperwork and negotiating about paperwork. The old MC wasn't this bogged down in such useless red tape. The guildless law and it's quick repeal had put a lot of papers in motion, and like an avalanche they couldn't be stopped. So when Mathius appeared in the hallway again, he was carrying several folders and a very annoyed expression. And a cup of coffee. For the observant crowd, two of the folders were marked with their names.

“...” He paused and stared at them for a long moment. Then irritation rippled through him as he walked closer. “I know I might be lax on protocol, but I believe I gave you two an order! Now move it, to my office! There's much to discuss, and too many prying ears about!”

With the whip cracked so to speak, he walked briskly, leading them to an office on the corner of the third floor, overlooking the east side of the city. The entire wall behind his desk was a window, allowing natural light in. On the walls to the left and right were various broken weapons and medals. His office had three chars facing the window, and one behind the desk.

“Have a seat and make yourselves comfortable,” Mathius said as he sat down himself. He let out a sigh as he sipped at his coffee. Setting the mug down he handed them each a folder with their name on it. “Those are your transfer papers to the R&D department. Along with confidentiality rules. I've been told Valand would invade to prevent us from developing even a quarter of what they've been researching down there. After signing the paperwork in that folder, you're technically freelance Seekers, both of you. You won't answer to anyone below the highest of higher ups, like Mordekai, or Von Argon himself.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Nines stared at the man after he sat down, and was actually informed about what the paperwork would do. Probably for one of rarer moments of his life, he wore a face much like the other two did when he examined Tori. His left eyebrow was raised upwards, and his mouth slightly hung agape, his right eye squinted. He blinked a few times as he actually processed this information.

Only the Highest of the higher ups.
The Von Argon family, and their direct under ranks?

This wouldn't give him rank and file, Seekers never had rank, it was a thing he felt he would acquire when he decided to be like every “Old” person out there who became a paladin. Settle down, protect an area, raise a family. He looked at Tori, his face back to what it normally was, a calm gentle smirk.

Alright he was a little bit arrogant, he admits it.
But when you’ve been around as long as he has in a world like this, when you were as stupid as he was, he kinda deserved it. Didn't help he felt he made the perfect choice for an apprentice, if thats what she was in the long run. He didn't really understand their partnership at the moment, because it wasn’t officially why he chose her, at least he didn't think so.

After that he grabbed the file, and read it. Thoroughly, and then filling it out, nice and neatly.
“Okay so you now have my soul..but technically you’ve had that for a very long time...Now what?”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:44 pm

“Sir, apologies sir,” Tori answered when he pointed out that they hadn’t made it to the office yet. She’d been obeying her direct superior rather than the one above him, which was probably a mistake. He didn’t seem to dwell on it though, and instead moved straight to business, motioning for the pair to sit down. Toril sat down politely, her hands folded in her lap over her red skirt. Her fingers rested on her rings adorning her hands.

Toril was obviously still trying to figure out what was going on. She was a junior member of the council. She'd literally just graduated from her training, and now she was given some sort of special assignment where she didn't answer to people? This made literally no sense. For Nines to get this, perhaps, but if they were saying she was getting it too... Maybe it was only when working with him. That would make more sense.

She nodded along with Nines when he asked "Now what?" since she wasn't used to speaking to superior officers even remotely casually, or in some cases at all when there were other councilmen around. She played with her rings on her hands as she awaited more information, occasionally casting a sidelong glance at Nines to see what he was thinking as well.
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:22 pm

“You do whatever Dr. Gero asks,” Mathius sighed and sipped at his coffee. He took the signed paperwork and reviewed signatures and such. Closing the folders, he set them down and looked between the two. “I haven't been told much. They're working on a weapon to make sure Valland can't invade again. But they need people to gather hard to obtain resources and information. And they're worried that the guilds won't cut it.”

“Of course, I'm fairly sure it's not that they're worried that the guilds can't do it...” He shook his head slowly. He turned and stood up, staring out the window. “I suppose you're both suspicious about what's going on by now. I can see it written all over your face Tempest. And I don't blame you. Sending the ghost of the MC with a raw recruit to follow the orders of someone without any authority in the Council... It's pretty strange isn't it?”

“...I hate to say it, but above the ground level grunts it's become like a game of chess,” Mathius said keeping his back to him. “And there's ears everywhere... most likely even in this room. I fought in the war to keep Fiore out of Valland's clutches, even after the old head was killed. I stuck with it when Argon took over, but he's... changed.”

“I'm not sure what all's going on,” Mathius stated as he turned around, putting both hands behind his back. He gave the two a hard look as he continued. “All I can do is try to protect the people out there, just as I always have. You both have that desire, as far as I can tell by the reports. Which is why I'm trusting you both to do the right thing. The only thing I can say for sure, is not to trust anyone inside the council. Not even Dr. Gero. Everyone around here seems to have their own agenda, and I get the feeling it won't be long before everything explodes in my face.”
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:20 am

“...you realized cause you said that, its pretty much gonna blow up in your face no matter what now right? Like tomorrow...I shit you not. This isnt just paranoia talking, and im a super paranoid person, this is a man who has lived years and knows that saying shit like 'well at least it can't get any..' He paused. "IF I say that shits gonna get worse, you know what, nevermind. Goodluck boss man” Nines stopped as he turned to head to the R&D department, the location specifics in the folder, and files Mathius gave them. He looked at the man, “I respect you, if things do blow up, dont do something stupid, do something right. You taught my Master, and he taught me that.” Nines chuckled, “Also is Ghost of the Council my offical “higher ups” title or something, i'm not that old” He grinned as he opened the door.

Ghost of Council worked well. Even better now in a way.
“Wonder how that became a thing” He pondered aloud.

This changed things significantly, he looked at Tori, she was definitely the only one he could trust. A weapon that would stop them from attacking ever again. This sounded bad, not only did that sound bad, but it also sounded like the Council was going to bad places. This is why Nines never wanted a rank. Chess, however he already knew something the Council didn't. They didn’t know who was playing the game. Mathius thought it was the other Councillors, Nines knew better, the Council had already fallen apart at the seams. The entire system was a powder keg getting ready to blow, the people hated them, the higher ups reacted differently then the ground forces. Control seemed impossible to not notice, but Nines could see it, nobody had any idea what was really going on behind the scenes here.

This was all wonderfully suspicious.
He wanted the Council to burn.
He wanted to be the one to rebuild it into what it was before the war.
The shining beacon of hope, justice, and truth it used to be.

He missed the Council he fell in love with.
He missed the citizens of the world that loved them.

He suspected Shadow Heart would make another play here. Whoever they were and whatever their goals were.

He hid his thoughts behind his closed smiling eyes, with his big grin. “Alright Tori, lets go commit science”
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Toril Tempest Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:54 am

Nines certainly sounded paranoid. Toril had heard that Seekers were paranoid people. They rooted out the darkness that Paladins wouldn’t find parading around in their uniforms. It wasn’t necessarily the junior paladin’s cup of tea, but it was an important job nonetheless. She would rather be a symbol of hope to the good guys, not a symbol of fear to the bad. Thus, Paladin over Seeker. Toril was young, but she knew her priorities. She also knew that since she was still a minor she was expected to stay quiet and let Nines do the talking for them by superiors unless told otherwise. She did have to take the time to mutter something about not having to be old to be a ghost under her breath though.

As the pair exited the room, Nines asked how that had become a thing, but Toril was more concerned with other things. Namely, everything she’d heard. You’d have to be blind not to see the two main political factions within the council more at each other’s throats, especially when she was asked to go to the main building where so many of the more ‘political’ Council members were stationed for any reason. Up until now, she’d just tried to show the people what she thought a council paladin should be. Now, at nearly sixteen, she was getting drawn into the big stuff. It was a lot to swallow, even for a girl like her.

Toril blinked her brown eyes as she turned to look up at Nines. His eyes were closed, though he was grinning. It was hard to read, but Toril knew the look. Her mother had had that look when her brother had run off to join some dark guild. “Aye aye, sir,” Toril nodded when he finally spoke up, telling them to go commit science. One of her ring lacrima flared up slightly as she adjusted it on her finger, an accidental revealing of her nervousness. “I’m uh,” she cleared her throat and her grin widened as she strengthened her mental resolve. “I’m right behind you.”
Toril Tempest
Toril Tempest
Council D
Council D

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxus Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 pm

Mathius only listened as Nines spoke. The ghost was right, though probably not in the way either of them expected. After a minute, they were off leaving the captain in his room. Once the door was shut he closed his eyes and chuckled. Grabbing his coffee he turned and stood next to the window. He took a long sip of the steaming, bitter liquid before staring out over the city.

“I really wish it didn't have to be like this,” He murmured quietly to himself. “But what happens has to happen... I only pray I made the right choice this time. If not, I've just thrown good people to the wolves.” Then a lacrima beeped on his desk and he walked over to it. Images appeared before him and his eye narrowed slightly. “Of course... Not a moments rest. Oh well.”

The directions listed were fairly clear. They had to go back to the prison. At the bottom, they'd find an elevator that took them down. They were instructed to go to basement floor five, and once they reached it, to hit the button again. The instructions ended with a statement that they would be greeted when the doors opened again.
Maxus
Maxus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nines Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Nines continued to smile as he walked, even as Tori hesitated to follow him. It was probably because she was nervous, or worried about this whole ordeal. That was understandable, she was young, and this was a mess. Nines missed Oak Town, there were many like minded individuals still at the old base, even if the Council was slowly working on moving the majority of the councils stuff back to this one. He sighed and walked a bit slower than he normally did, both to let her keep up with him, and also because he wanted to be cautious.

“Tori I’ma tell you something, you don’t need to worry about jack, I may not look it but I’m pretty hardy. What ever comes at us, i'm sure I can take it.” He said calmly to try her nerves. “I'm really really good at group defense.” He chuckled at that. This conversation was going, poorly, to say the least. “Come we need to move quickly.” He said increasing his step speed. He opened the door to the Praetorium and was met with the sight of a group in the middle of it. One of them he recognized as Mordekai Von Argon, a man he had no interest in meeting, or even interacting with.

He had enough of that when Fayte chased him down with the intent to kill.

Nines turned for the direction of the elevator and headed that way first. Intent to leave before anything could happen to either him or Tori
Nines
Nines
Council C
Council C

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content