FTR has moved to fairytailrevolution.jcink.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Suggestion of Sorts

Go down

A Suggestion of Sorts Empty A Suggestion of Sorts

Post by Guest Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:19 pm

So after reading this topic, specifically the second part, I thought that maybe there was a better way to fix that specific problem. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but here's my argument anyway on the current problems we see in missions, and a possible solution for them:

1. Single Player mode. Again, this is just my opinion, but going through the trouble of making an rp site only to have people do tons of single player threads just to get stuff seems a bit silly.

2. The missions only really reward a successful result, thus passively encouraging solo missions so players can ensure their victory as quickly as possible. While I understand the attempt at trying to be realistic with how missions should be, I think that changing the game-play mechanic slightly to encourage participation and plot building between different factions as opposed to doing it for the "easy exp and money" might be better in the long run.

Fix:

1.  Instead of having missions be something along the lines of "do X in Y amount of words to get Z reward" make it so that they're instead used as plot points for multiple people to play with and reward their participation within the thread rather than the successful completion of the mission. A good example, right now, of missions that could be changed to fit this are the "Season 1 repeatable missions: hunted, guildless hunt and guildless protection" Mostly because they're the same mission from a different point of view.

2. That last part I believe is the most important. When making said missions, leave them open for different points of view, minimizing the interaction with specific NPC characters. Major NPC's should be reserved for GM events. Minor NPC's are best kept as "sideline" characters; ex. The person that gave the mission.

3. Remove the need to ask for permission to take the mission. If it's a GM event with specific requirements it's a different story, but generally speaking you're just gonna say yes anyway; since the whole point of making missions is for people to take them. This is not really major, but I just think it removes a bit of unnecessary interaction that slows down the whole process. People should still post with a link to their mission as an acknowledgement of completion the get their reward.

What it improves:

1. It encourages people to rp a certain plot together rather than having a bunch of single player threads doing the same thing. (mainly, someone doing a mission with little to no real conflict/challenge due to being in control of everything at all times)

2. It saves the staff's time. They no longer have to run around GM'ing tons of missions or telling people to go play with themselves. As is now, using the example missions, a GM would have to keep track of 3 different threads; assuming each of the missions was taken. With my system, ideally, the same 3 players are given the same basic plot point, but play it out with each other and take care of everything themselves; thus never needing a GM at all. This is a big one, considering the GM problem would be ever-growing as the site got bigger unless you started appointing staffies solely to the job.

3. Rewarding participation instead of success is mostly a fail safe for the system. It's there to make it less likely for people to be discouraged from doing a mission with a "real" opponent from fear of losing and getting nothing for their efforts. Of course, you could always offer a little extra for the 'winner' in the spirit of competition. ;P

Anyway, I think that's all. If you actually read all of this then thanks for reading, if not then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Other than that, if you have questions, comments, concerns feel free to post. Hate, flaming and trolling are also welcome. ;D

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum