FTR has moved to fairytailrevolution.jcink.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Secondary Magic Discussion!

4 posters

Go down

Secondary Magic Discussion! Empty Secondary Magic Discussion!

Post by PatriotArrow Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:15 pm

This is the second topic we'll be letting people discuss over the next week. Here's what we wrote in the announcement topic:

The second issue is something several people have asked since we started the site up: How to gain new magic! A lot of people want to combine more than one magic, and we're looking into a good way to introduce it! The idea is as follows:

* Upon reaching level 5, casters may gain a new magic, either a secondary magic, or a holder item that is bonded to them and levels up with them for free. Holders with no magic have the option to gain a primary magic, or a second holder item bonded to them (and thus its item level always matches yours).

* The secondary magic has a maximum of 10 spells, or 15 if you purchase additional spell slots with jewels.

* When you submit your new magic for approval at level 5, you get a free spell to go with it. The same applies if you add a new free holder item.

Alright everyone, discuss what you think! You have one week. Fight!
PatriotArrow
PatriotArrow
Admin

Experience : 81
Primary Magic : Admin Magic
Secondary Magic : N/A

https://fairytailrevolution.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Secondary Magic Discussion! Empty Re: Secondary Magic Discussion!

Post by Roejaster Rallands Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:40 pm

Another note we, your friendly neighborhood staff, wanted to throw in for to the discussion.

A third option for Holder mages: Feel rather attached to that single item you've come to know and love, then how about once you hit lvl. 5 a free augmentation.
Roejaster Rallands
Roejaster Rallands
Fairy Tail C
Fairy Tail C

Experience : 51
Primary Magic : REQUIP:Gunslinger
Secondary Magic : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:44 pm

Ugh dual magics. I honestly feel like this can get out of hand really easily. This may be me just following canon and all, but i feel like the only people getting a dual magic is like A-S rank mage type deal. Or, in the case of dragon slayers, when they eat enough of another element and get pissed off (i.e. Natsu with lightning flame dragon mode, Gajeel with Iron shadow dragon, and Future Rogue with white shadow dragon mode.). But seeing as this isn't a canon site it doesn't really matter.

I can kind of seeing it working if it was meant for higher levels like 7 or 8, or stick with 5 and make the magic and holder items like really weak or something. Make it cost a lot of money, and make it so we have to train for it like if we were adding new spells with like a decently long word count so only like dedicated and like teh bestest mages can learn the magic. Idk that's about the best i can does. I just feel like it would get chaotic with dual magics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:16 pm

I think it could be a good idea if an honor system will work. We already have a rule about god-modding so I'm not super worried about it getting too OP. I think level 5 is sufficient, but I think there should be a thing one has to do to earn it.

I'm thinking Dragon slayers should have to eat a large magic spell of their secondary element so another player would have to help them, or a regular player would have to learn it from another player. Limited magics should be able to learn from other players, that way people would be more encouraged to rp with one another.
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Experience : 436
Primary Magic : Lightning Dragon Slayer
Secondary Magic : Void Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:07 am

Funny, the more I wanted to state my opinion on this topic, the more I realized I'm sitting on the fence on this one. xD

Part of me wants to see people stick to their magic of choice and would have various arguments for it.
But another side just wants to see all kinds of dual magic blasts flying around. xo

Objectively though, I would have to agree with Gio. From what I've seen in cannon it's only the ultra high level mages that have distinguishable double magics. Everyone else just seems to have small misc spells.

Also, I would refrain from giving out holder items... or at least ones with free levels.

Hmm, somewhat echoing Gio again.. maybe make it so that one can't get second magic until level 5-8 and all starter secondary magic is obtained at level 1 and must be developed from there.

ex. Say I'm a Fire Mage and get level 5 and want Earth Magic as my secondary. The new secondary spell I get for free would be level 1 and I would have to train it up from there.

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Tatsuma Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Okay so I was thinking:

Secondary magic I think should be available but I think the starting level should be variable. Meaning-
mages that specialize in lightning magic should only be able to take magic in an element that is somehow tied to theirs for the better but not an element that is already a strength or weakness.

A fire mage wouldn't be able to take water magic, but they could take lightning because lightning can create fire, or metal because fire tempers metal. Likewise lightning could take wind creates lightning, or fire because lightning creates fire. Water--> Ice and earth etc. These two elements would start at the same level.

Now that has been lain out, no mage should be able to take the element that theirs is weak or strong against because that could lead to severe OP crap.

That being said, I think another good option would to make it so that a caster can only take a holder item as secondary, but a holder could take a holder item or cast as secondary. That way no one really has a significant and overpowering advantage.
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Tatsu i like the idea I really do, but I can only see it if the elements had a direct correlation, like water turns to ice, or wood and metal comes from the earth or something like that. Im not really feeling the whole lightning from fire or visa versa. But i do like the idea that a water mage can take to learning ice magic easier than say a fire mage.

With that being said what about those who use the physics or yin yang (dark and light)? Are they just s.o.l. or do the same things apply: if theyre good with matter transformation are they good with acceleration.  

Random idea below:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tatsuma Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

Well I was addressing elemental because that seems to be the majority though I agree with you that they shouldn't be S.O.L. Gio. I just figured that since the mods/admins will do whatever with the final project that they would figure out which elements for those and the others I didn't mention.

My main focus was limited what people would be able to do so that no one was walking around splashing people with water and then electrocuting everything, or a fire mage going toe to toe with another fire mage and then suddenly dropping some water.
Tatsuma
Tatsuma
Fairy Tail B
Fairy Tail B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down